How to Get the Best Treatment After a Car Accident
Have you been involved in a car accident? If so, chances are that you have been injured and should seek medical attention immediately. Even in instances where you do not feel pain or discomfort, there are injuries that can present symptoms at a later period. There are many different types of injuries, both physical and mental, that can occur as a result of an auto accident. Back and neck pain are common symptoms that result from car accidents, and if you have suffered such an injury, you should seek treatment from a chiropractor as well as a car accident medical doctor.
Types of Injuries After a Car Accident
There are a number of different types of injuries that are commonly caused by car collisions. These include whiplash, spinal fractures, herniated discs, spondylolisthesis and spinal cord injuries.
- Whiplash: This is one of the most common injuries to result from an auto accident, causing damage to tissues, ligaments and muscles in the neck. Whiplash often occurs in rear-end collisions since the head as well as neck are propelled or jerked backward while the body does not move. This type of injury can vary from mild to severe and in many cases, patients require medical treatment.
- Spinal Fractures: This type of injury is often the result of a car accident where the seat belt does not adequately secure your body in place. The lower half of your body does not move, but the head and torso are jostled around, causing spinal fractures. There are different treatments for spinal fractures, depending on the severity. Some fractures can heal with rest and immobilization while surgery is required for others.
- Herniated Discs: A great deal of force can affect the discs that cushion the vertebrae in the spine when a car accident occurs. The discs can shift due to this force, causing compression of nerves with resultant pain and numbness. In most cases, herniated discs are treated with methods that are conservative and non-invasive. Doctors often recommend physio- therapy and anti-inflammatory medications. If it is a severe herniation, surgery may be used to treat the injury.
- Spinal Stenosis: Although this type of injury is not typically directly caused by a car accident, a person with asymptomatic spinal stenosis can begin to feel symptoms due to a collision. A spinal specialist can determine if the symptoms of spinal stenosis are exacerbated as a result of a car accident and provide treatment options.
- Spondylolisthesis: This type of injury occurs when vertebrae are forcefully moved out of place by stress fractures. Spondylolisthesis may compress the spinal canal or the nerves and may cause weakness, numbness, pain and difficulty walking. Treatment for this condition typically depends on the displaced vertebrae’s location and the extent of the displacement. Physio-therapy and surgery are the treatment options for spondylolisthesis.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: The spinal cord can be injured or damaged even in low-speed car accidents. The force of impact of the collision can bruise, cut or sever it. If the spinal cord is injured, lacerated or even severed as a result of an auto accident, it can lead to permanent paralysis.
Benefits of Using a Chiropractor and Car Accident Doctor to Treat Pain from Auto Accidents
A chiropractor is a doctor who treats issues that stem from the nervous system and spine. They aim to diagnose and treat the issue’s source rather than the symptoms themselves. They tend to provide long-lasting results and help ensure that you do not become dependent on medications to deal with pain caused by car accidents. Many victims of auto accidents visit a chiropractor to seek treatment for neck pain, shoulder pain and lower back pain. Chiropractors relieve aches and pains and restore mobility through stretches, corrective exercises and spinal adjustments.
Here are some of the benefits of using a chiropractor and a car accident medical doctor for pain from a collision.
- Restore Your Nervous System: Chiropractic care focuses on the spine and nervous system. Chiropractors provide treatment to restore your nervous system back to normal after a car accident.
- Examine Your Musculoskeletal Biomechanics: It is important to see a car accident doctor after a collision as they limit their practice to accident-related injuries. Even if you have been to the hospital and visited your healthcare provider, you should see this type of doctor.
- Help with Your Insurance Claim: In the aftermath of a car accident, some of the common hurdles you may need to go through are insurance claims and legal battles. The longer you wait to seek treatment from a chiropractor and car accident medical doctor, the more difficult it will be to relate your injuries to the auto accident. Receiving care from these doctors insures that your injuries will be well documented.
Get the Best Treatment for your Injuries from Car Accidents
If you have been in a car accident and suffered an injury, you should immediately seek the help of an experienced doctor who limits his practice to auto accident-related injuries. You get the treatment you need for your pain as well as the necessary paperwork to make sure that your medical bills are covered. They will also provide the documentation you need in case you file a personal injury claim to obtain compensation for your injuries.
We have Medical Doctors and Chiropractors who specialize in auto injury care.
If you or somebody you know has been in an auto accident, be sure that you seek medical attention from a experienced chiropractor and medical doctor to treat your injuries. Please schedule an appointment or simply call us at 1-866-6-BackMan to receive the best medical treatment for your injuries.
Chambers Medical Group has auto accident chiropractic clinics in the following locations: